WRA Association Meeting Minutes - June 2016 (Whitby Ringette)

PrintWRA Association Meeting Minutes - June 2016

Whitby Ringette Association June Meeting Minutes June 9, 2016

I. Call to order

Jennifer moved to called to order the regular meeting of the WRA at 7:20pm on June 9, 2016 at Marc’s home.

II. Roll call

The following persons were present: Marc Nagy, Jennifer Nagy, John Hyde, David Taite, Joanne Brind’Amour, Cameron Lee, Lisa Tucker, Kim Cornacchia, Jeff Mackenzie, Rodney Gray, Sue Martynek

III. Central Region AGM

Marc shared some highlights from the the Central Region Annual General meeting held on Jun 6th.

  • Mary Slavic continues her term as Chair
  • Jamie Showers continues his term as G&T
  • Sean Browne continues as Player Development
  • Debbie Findlay continues as Registrar
  • New Roles:
    • Dom Ioandi is the 1st Vice Chair
    • Mark Pagniello is the 2nd Vice Chair
    • Tara Armstrong is the Referee In Chief
    • Denise Pontone is the Treasurer
    • Lou Cornacchia is the Elite Coordinator
    • Colin Deans is a Member At Large
  • Ontario Ringette Assoc AGM is this coming weekend, June 11
  • 2 open positions – Coach Coordinator & Secretary
  • Need more representation from Whitby on the Central Board
  • Referee Fees are increasing for tournaments
    • increase of $5/game provincial tournament
    • increase of $2/game regional
  • All associations are encouraged to create U8 teams earlier in the season
  • Challenge Cup to decide Central A rep to go to Provincials (best of 5 central opponent games), remaining Teams have an opportunity to qualify based on ranking from tournament results IIII. Ontario Ringette Association
  • Sports Development- sanctions against coaches re: fair play
  • Pocket set aside for advertising to get higher numbers for ringette and other ice sports due to decline

IV. New business

a) Releases

Continue to receive requests for a Release for reasons other than Level of Play. Whitby will follow strict adherence to policy much like the other Associations. Releases will not be granted unless for Level of Play or if a Team is not viable to form in Whitby.

Risk that Parents threat to pull their Child from the sport could be realized, but the negative impact of releasing a player outweighs the risk – has caused entire teams to fold in the past

b) Open postings

  • Tournament Coordinator needed, to be posted
  • Kim Cornacchia will do registrations and medals
  • U14R & 19A Coach
  • U19A goalie

Jen to post on Whitby site & Social Media and request posting on the Central website

c) Teams

  • Open A- tournament team, no ice requirement
  • 19A 16AA, 14A, 14R, 12P
  • U16R, U14R, U12 (1-2 teams based on registrations as of Jun 1st)
  • May need some consolidation at the younger ages, e.g. U9 & U10
  • Rookie Ringette (plan is for 4 teams)
  • 19R at risk due to low numbers and no goalie
  • Open B at risk. Challenged with numbers and finding a Goalie.

d) Ice Users- Town of Whitby

  • Cost to remain same this year, but increase next year
  • Organizations asked to pay bills monthly
  • Reminded to check insurance and policies for bring a friend etc
  • Ice after Feb 25, Town will take back ice time with 10 days notice
  • Need to provide 30 days notice for tournament ice reallocation
  • Dry erase markers are not to be used on ice
  • Coaches and managers are asked to check locker rooms for cleanliness at end
  • pdf's and doc’s can be submitted to be viewed on monitors at Iroquois.
  • Sept 10 1 hour of free ice paid for by Town for ComeTryRingette along with table space for Town’s Open House
  • WRA can use Town’s public Code of Conduct and ask for assistance to remove parents
  • Pro Shop Operator is needed at Iroquois
  • Organizations are asked to update Trophy cabinets and keep up-to-date
  • Possibility of opening up food vendor options during tournaments

e) Provincial

No shows of referees will result in game being rescheduled to count

f) Motions

Jennifer Nagy put forward a motion to add position of Member-At-Large to executive committee as a voting position to represent all members entire association. Marc Nagy 2nd motion, passed unanimously, to be voted in at next AGM.

g) Other

  • Decisions about team viability needs to be made by mid-July
  • Sanctioned events come out around July 8
  • Roy’s still owes a check, logo design needs to be streamlined (double check)
  • On-Ice Gear: Durham Sportswear and Equipment Inc has submitted proposal
    • Jennifer Nagy will ask for price list and get other submissions from other providers
  • Fundscript- gift cards purchased with portion coming back to player & WRA- Lisa Tucker is taking over
  • Bingo- Jennifer Nagy will continue
  • Sponsorship- RBC only works with non-profits
  • WRA looking in to becoming documented non-profit
  • Pro Hockey Life has stated they are willing to help with the Tournament and other options
  • Website needs to be updated constantly with content, similar to Ajax/Pickering
  • Ice Times will continue Tuesday/Wednesday evenings and Saturday/Sunday

V. Adjournment

Jennifer moved to adjourn the meeting at 9:30, Marc 2nd.

Minutes submitted by: Joanne Brind’Amour

NEXT MEETING: Monday, August 22, 7 pm. Location TBD.

Category Sites
League Sites
Quick Links
Manage Subscriptions
Signup to receive email or text messages for the teams you want to follow.
Printed from whitbyringette.com on Friday, June 22, 2018 at 10:08 PM